Thursday, September 11, 2008

O mi gosh!

Coming from uni, I've been ingrained with two opinions on wiki's:
1. Good way to share knowledge. Is a way for the internet to be 'user-centered'.
2. Not a liable enough resource for essays and assignments.
Hearing the latter, I asked 'why that might be?', and apparently its because wiki's can be opinion-based as opposed to being fact. Rather then go into the whole issue as to whether this is a good thing/bad thing, I'll let you know my few experiences:

Wiki's are cool. Yeah, it might potentially lean towards an 'opinion-based' information, but it's still information. Information that can be dissected and studied to be seen if it can be 'fact'. I was on the

'Programs for Kids & Teens'

wiki, and found it an encouraging piece to read knowing that other librarians out there also experience the struggle of putting books into kids & teens hands (or more specifically, into 'boys' hands lol). I was also on , and although I haven't gone through it extensively, it will be awesome to look for programs that work with other teens around the world!

So yeah, although the information I saw wasn't always 'fact' but more or less 'experiences', it can still be a starting point for my line of work, because when you work with kids and teens who perceive reading as a "waste of time sir!", you're bound to need ideas to help turn around such perceptions!

No comments: